Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Deli Days or Jewish Food Festival

Now that the weather is warmer, all of the fun food festivals are happening!  After the success at the Greek Food Fesitval, I knew I had to try Deli Days this year!  I rounded up a group of friends, and off we went!

This is a photo of the original Congregation Ahavath Beth Israel temple.  It was moved from its original location to its current location.  I can't even imagine how you move a whole building!

I picked an all beef hot dog on a challah roll for lunch.  I only ever eat turkey dogs so this was a delicious treat!

My friend Lauren ordered a hot pastrami sandwich and a kosher pickle.

We shared a potato knish. I need to learn how to make these because they are delicious!

In order to get my cute little Israeli flag, I had to eat a really bad piece of gefilte fish from a jar.  I have only ever had cooked loaves of gefilte fish, and I will be sticking with those from now on.  But at least I have a sticker to prove I did it!

Much like at the Greek Festival, I used all of my leftover tickets to buy desserts.  They seemed to have desserts from every Jewish holiday through the year, but I tried to buy things that I don't have all the time.

This was a random cookie and I have no idea if it is Jewish or not, but it did taste good!

This is a hamentaschen filled with chocolate.  I didn't get any on Purim this year, and this one was especially delicious!

They also had music to listen to while you ate.  We were there during the time that Chava Mirel was singing, and she was really good!

Have you ever tried any Jewish foods before?  Do you have a favorite?

10 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Becca - I know little about Jewish food or customs ... hot salt beef I enjoy ( I think that falls into the category!) ... but am glad you had a happy time once again ... and were able to enjoy the desserts ... cheers Hilary

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Now that sounds like a fun time! Yum on the food.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I like latkes and challah a lot!

Smellyann said...

I've made challah (I prefer it braided, with raisins) and knishes before, but I don't know if that counts as authentic since I'm not Jewish and it wasn't blessed by a rabbi or anything? I'm kind of jealous of these food festival posts. I'd love to go with you for another one!! ;)

Stephanie Faris said...

Desserts are the best part! I don't blame you for saving all your tickets for that. In fact, that cookie looks DELICIOUS!

Sherry Ellis said...

Yes, I've eaten a lot of Jewish foods. My husband is Jewish, so I've learned to cook a lot of these types of food for the holidays. I like charoset and matzoh ball soup.

Tamara Camera said...

I love turkey hot dogs, but if I veer off that path, kosher beef ones are IT! Also, potato knishes are a childhood favorite.

Midnight Cowgirl said...

The potato knish looks really good!

Aleen ~ Lampshade Reader said...

All that food is making me hungry! Thanks for sharing, I love knowing about different cultures. ~Aleen

An Apel a Day said...

That looks like a fun festival to go to! We missed the German Festival here. We went one year, and loved it.