Saturday, October 15, 2011

Cornbread Waffles

A while back, I was reading People Magazine and saw a fabulous looking recipe for cornbread waffles.  I love cornbread and I love waffles, so I was eager to try these.

The recipe says it serves six.  It served three of us plus we had tons of leftovers!

1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. sugar
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup soybean or vegetable oil (we used vegetable oil)

1. Preheat a waffle iron.
2. Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl.

3. Add buttermilk and oil and whisk until smooth. (We don't own a whisk so we stirred)

4. Spray a heated waffle iron with cooking spray. (You have to spray it before putting each waffle in)  Add 2/3 cup batter and cook until crisp and lightly browned, 5-6 minutes.

5. Serve warm.

We put a little bit of butter and syrup on ours.  They were so delicious!


blueviolet said...

That sounds really, really good!

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Oh yum! I've never had cornbread waffles before. I'll have to try them. :)