Saturday, October 15, 2011

Cornbread Waffles

A while back, I was reading People Magazine and saw a fabulous looking recipe for cornbread waffles.  I love cornbread and I love waffles, so I was eager to try these.

The recipe says it serves six.  It served three of us plus we had tons of leftovers!

1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. sugar
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup soybean or vegetable oil (we used vegetable oil)

1. Preheat a waffle iron.
2. Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl.


3. Add buttermilk and oil and whisk until smooth. (We don't own a whisk so we stirred)



4. Spray a heated waffle iron with cooking spray. (You have to spray it before putting each waffle in)  Add 2/3 cup batter and cook until crisp and lightly browned, 5-6 minutes.



5. Serve warm.


We put a little bit of butter and syrup on ours.  They were so delicious!

2 comments:

Liz Mays said...

That sounds really, really good!

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Oh yum! I've never had cornbread waffles before. I'll have to try them. :)