Sunday, September 6, 2009

The 13th Warrior


On Friday night, a friend invited me over to watch "The 13th Warrior". I generally enjoy Antonio Banderas as an actor and had never seen this movie, so I happily went over to watch it.

While I thoroughly enjoyed getting to see many of my friends, I didn't enjoy the movie overly much. The acting was fine, but the beginning of the movie was in whatever language and not subtitled (although Antonio Banderas' character had someone translating to him sometimes). Therefore, I really had no idea what was going on for a long time. The action scenes were okay, but the movie is about 10 years old and you could really tell that by the special effects.

So, while I wouldn't say this movie was bad...I would definitely say it wasn't that good. If you are in the mood for an Antonio Banderas movie, I would definitely recommend one of the Zorro or Shrek movies instead of this one.

If anyone else has seen the movie, I would love to know your thoughts on it!

4 comments:

stephanie said...

Your description of the beginning being in "whatever language" made me chuckle. That is some terrible moviemaking right there; it sounds like you're being quite generous in your review. :)

I would have resorted to turning off the sound and just watching Antonio muscle around the screen...

Unknown said...

I'd love to see this, I love Antonio :)

kramer said...

It's a retelling of Beowulf, based on Michael Creighton's 13th Warrior... I might have it ll backwards. Great literature doesn't always equal a good movie.

Quilly said...

I loved this movie. It didn't bother me that I couldn't understand what was being said. Most of the time neither could the Antonio Banderas character and the idea was to help the audience feel how frustrated he must have felt.

It is 10 years old and the special effects are 10 years old, but the storyline is still good. To me the storyline will always be much more important then the special effects.

The one thing I remember about this movie that I did not like was how much of it was filmed in the dark. I think they could have let the moon shine just a tiny bit brighter.