Thursday, May 5, 2011

Aloha Friday #31 - Haggis



Welcome to this week’s edition of Aloha Friday. Thanks to Kailani at An Island Life for starting this fun for Friday. I’ll ask a simple question for you to answer. Nothing that requires a lengthy response. If you’d like to participate, just post your own question on your blog . Please be sure to head over to her blog to say hello and sign the Mr. Linky there if you are participating.

Totally random question this time.  What is the weirdest/most unique food you have ever eaten?  Why did you eat it? Did you like it?

My answer would definitely have to be haggis.  In general, I am a very picky / very conservative eater.  I like what I like and I don't branch out very much.  But I went to Scotland when I was 16 and actually tried haggis.  It wasn't that bad, but I only had a few bites because it was just too weird for me!  In case anyone doesn't know, traditional haggis is some variation of sheep's organs mixed with various spices and then cooked in the animal's stomach.  I'm glad I tried it back then, because I don't know if I could do it now!

17 comments:

Veronica Lee said...

Unagi (fresh water eel). It was yummy but I still squirm at the thought!

Happy Friday!

NCSue said...

Mountain oysters.
What are they?
You don't want to know.

TechyDad said...

Beef Tongue. When I was in high school, I would take tongue sandwiches in for lunch. Needless to say, kids can be very cruel to a socially awkward kid who is eating tongue. (And yet, for some reason, I kept bringing it in.)

Stacy Uncorked said...

Escargot - but your haggis beats snails any day in the crazy factor! ;)

Aloha: Mother's Day

The Social Frog said...

I am such a picky eater that I can't say I've eaten anything weird...yet. I am moving to Japan and I know I will try odd, strange foods there.

Colette S said...

I've eaten tripe. Tripe soup. It was good. It's something we do in my country :)

I am Harriet said...

Chopped liver. It didn't seem weird at the time :)


Have a great day!
http://harrietandfriends.com/2011/05/move-on-mel/

MMAR said...

I guess it was similar to your haggi... I was 15 at my boyfriends house they were making fresh cabrito (baby goat) and his Aunt asked me taste a taco then told me it had eye balls in it : (

~ Noelle said...

no
very picky here... so not a chance

TerriAnn @ Cookies and Clogs said...

Haggis - I don't think I could 'stomach' that! How about pig ears?

Anonymous said...

MM, I've eaten many things that would be considered strange to most people. Snake, Buffalo, Rocky Mountain Oysters, Tripe, snails, and the list goes on.

CMash said...

I don't think its unique, it's just that I don't like it and that is liver. My grandmother once made it and told me it was steak. But then I eat clams on the half shell which are raw and most would find that unique.

Dee said...

I'm not too adventurous when it comes to food so I can't think if anything that counts! :)

Anonymous said...

Squid. My husband talked me into trying it. Me no likey!

Lily Dawn said...

hmmmm, i would have to say squid and alligator- I liked both as long as they were fried... anything tastes good fried ;)

Serendipity is Sweet said...

Calamari, black bear, ostrich, caviar,none of which I liked.

Tammy said...

I'd have to say poi...didn't like it either!