Sunday, May 8, 2011

Camera Critters #1

Camera Critters

Another awesome meme that I found!  This one asks a question...and also lets us share our animals!  The question this week is "Any special Mother's Day plans or a special "Mother" story?"  Our plans today are simple.  My mom wants chili dogs for dinner and I am going to make them for her LOL

Chip in my hand

Since I just did a post about my doggie, Hunter, I thought I would do this one about my geckos, Chip and Dale.  I got them a little over a year ago for free from Craigslist.  Their previous owner meant well but wasn't taking great care of them.  Since living with me, they have blossomed!

Dale in my hand

Oh, in case anyone doesn't know...they are leopard geckos.  Leopard geckos come in all different patterns.  They can be any mix of yellow, black, white, brown and I think that's it LOL  Dale is a pretty normal size.  Chip is a bit on the small side due to what I'm assuming is metabolic bone disease from lack of proper care.

Chip on his little log

I think they are allowed to eat a variety of bugs, but I mostly feed them calcium-dusted crickets.  I do feed them mealworms occasionally, but crickets definitely seem to be their favorite!

Dale in the corner of his cage

People like to do all kinds of things with their cages, but I just have my geckos on paper towels.  I had a lizard die from sand impaction so I will never use sand.  They came to me on some kind of chips but the chips were a pain to clean...and they really don't need anything more than paper towel.

Leopard geckos are supposedly nocturnal, but my geckos seem to be awake most of the time.  Maybe they just don't sleep that heavily?

If you are ever thinking about getting a lizard, I would definitely recommend leopard geckos.  They are super easy to take care of and are really friendly!

13 comments:

One said...

It's gorgeous. At first I thought it was a snake...and wondered why you are afraid of monkeys and not of snakes. LOL! You wouldn't want to see a gecko in my dog's mouth.

LadyFi said...

What gorgeous creatures! I really like lizards and geckos, but will have to content myself with my dog.

Shelley Munro said...

These are really pretty. We have tiny native geckos in New Zealand. They're not nearly as big as yours!

lina@happy family said...

Your geckos are cute!
Thanks for dropping by :)

Tammy said...

What an unusual pet. They are actually pretty cute, I like that first shot of him in your hand.

eden said...

They are so cute. Great photos.

Unknown said...

I never seen a leopard gecko before. They are cute. I am glad you rescued them.

Mrs. Tuna said...

I'm a little creeped out by reptiles.....

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment, love comments, makes my day!

Dimple said...

Hi Becca, This is interesting. I knew geckos were lizards, but not much more. Chip and Dale are ...is "cute" a good word? Somehow, I don't usually think of reptiles as "cute!"

I noticed your location on my profile. Ages ago, when I was in college, I lived in Isla Vista for a while. I sure liked being so close to the beach!

Dimple said...

I mean, I noticed your location on YOUR profile! LOL!

Gattina said...

They are sooooo cute ! They look like mini crocodiles !

Willard said...

These are amazing creatures, and so cute. Excellent photos!

NatureFootstep said...

chip looks a bit different from other lizards I´ve seen. Great shots.