Sunday, February 5, 2012

A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard



I think America cheered when Jaycee Dugard was found.  I was too young when she was taken to remember it, but I definitely remember her rescue!  When she wrote a book, I wanted to read it just to better understand what would make someone stay with their captor for 18 whole years!

A Stolen Life really makes you understand why Jaycee stayed with her captors for 18 long years!  Not only did she write down her memories in the memoir, but she also included journal entries and pictures.  Can you imagine being 11 years old and being mind controlled by such an awful man????  If you've ever had any questions about Jaycee Dugard's story, you should read this mind-blowing book.  Parts of it were definitely tough to read, but I feel like I really understand her unfortunate situation now.

Progress toward:

2012 TBR Pile Reading Challenge - 9/50
100+ Books In a Year - 9/100

9 comments:

Beth Dunn said...

I bet that has hard parts to read. How brave she is to even write it/relive it.
xoxo
SC

Ameena said...

When I found out that Jaycee Dugard had a book I was terrified and intrigued at the same time. I had just finished reading "Room" and I knew that this true account would bring "Room" to a whole other level.

After reading this review I think I have to find it and read it ASAP!

Judy said...

I read it and especially the beginning was so hard to keep reading at times. What bothered me was the fact that after the hard parts for us to read,she continued dealing with the trials the whole time she was with them.

Shauna said...

Hi Becca, my mom says I live in a happy bubble, which means I most likely will not read this book. But, I'm glad it helped you to find some understanding for the horrible situation. It's amazing that people can survive in these situations to not only move onto a new chapter in their lives but to also find happiness again. It's a testimony to me that all of us can have hope in this life that will most likely bring some hard times, whatever they may be. Take care,

Shauna

Unknown said...

i just read Little Girl Gone ... which is loosely based on Jaycee Dugard. Now would like to read this one. Thanks for the review

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you posted this! I had heard that she was coming out with a book but I never caught the name of it. I was also too young to really know the story of it but have since learned bits & pieces and as a psych major, her story fascinates me.

Alexis AKA MOM said...

What an amazing lady, I've heard great things of this book.

Carrie said...

Now I'm really excited. This is in my cart on Amazon now!

And I can't wait.

I saw her in an interview and what an amazing woman she turned out to be.

Unfortunately, I AM old enough to remember when she was taken and seeing the heartbreak of her family. No family should ever have to endure that.

Anonymous said...

im 13 years old i read the book at 12 i thought it was so good thankyou your a good writer