Friday, February 24, 2012

Cornbread

My grandpa really likes cornbread and rarely gets it - so I made him some!  He finally tried it tonight and liked it...yay!  It wasn't quite sweet enough for my taste, so while the below recipe (from a package of Walmart corn meal) is good, I might look around for a sweeter one :)

1 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup all-purpose flower
4 tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil

1. Preheat the oven to 425 F.

2. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Then add the wet ingredients.




3. Mix until the batter is mostly smooth, a little less than a minute did it for me.

4. Bake in a greased square pan for 23-25 minutes or until golden brown on top.


Enjoy!

I learned while talking to some facebook friends that cornbread is only an American food.  None of the Europeans or Australians had ever tried it.  Who knew???

7 comments:

AudreyO said...

I love cornbread with honey butter :)-

Rachel @ Rachel's Giveaways said...

I prefer my cornbread slightly sweet too :)

Carrie said...

There is very little in life better than fresh, home-cooked cornbread.

Very little.

kalea_kane said...

Looks great. I always have cornmeal on hand for pizza. Silly me, I never thought about cornbread!

Tammy said...

Cornbread is VERY American :) I immigrated here from Canada and while you can get it there and people make it there, it isn't like here where everyone pretty much knows about it.

It actually is an acquired taste if you're not used to it - actually I think it's more of a texture thing than taste - I love the taste but it's 'grainy' which is hard for me to get past :)

Anonymous said...

My son LOVES cornbread, but mine comes in a box and I just add milk & an egg. lol

LeeOhana said...

I never tried making cornbread. The one you made sure looks good though!