Thursday, December 3, 2009

Peanut Butter






VS



I love peanut butter.  If you can inherit likes and dislikes, I definitely got this from my dad.  He could eat peanut butter all day every day.

I love JIF brand.  I think it has the best taste.  I buy the reduced fat one in an effort to be healthy.

So tonight, my dad and I compared regular JIF to reduced fat JIF.  While the reduced fat one does indeed have less fat (110 fat calories instead of 130), it has more sugar and more carbs.  It seems to me that the trade-off isn't worth it.  After this jar is gone, I am switching to regular.

Does anyone have an idea for healthy peanut butter?  I was looking at the Smart Balance kind online and it looked ok (but don't know about the taste).

4 comments:

Jeff Koeze said...

I'm highly biased, but also highly expert (our family has been in the PB business for 75 years.)

I'm not a huge fan of what I'd call the peanut butter/nutracutical products like Smart Balance. But that is because I like to keep things (including food ingredients) simple.

The single best step you can take to improve the healthly aspect of peanut butter is to switch to a peanut butter made with just peanuts and salt. This is an adjustment for somebody who is used to the added sugar in Jif, but you'll get used to it, I promise. Of course, I think my Cream-Nut Natural Peanut Butter is the best.

But the labeling of peanut butter and related products has gotten to be terribly complicated, so do pay close attention. I wrote a little blog post on peanut butter labels you might find helpful on this subject.

Be well.

Anonymous said...

I love peanut butter as well. I don't ever get the healthy stuff. I keep going back to what I was brought up with and I'm still kicking so it must be okay. I like the crunchy peanut butter the best however :) I can just take a spoonful of it and eat it all the time :) mmm mmm good. BTW...hows work?

Angela @ Nine More Months said...

Honestly, I just go for the most natural ingredients. In fact, the kind you grind yourself at the whole foods store is my favorite. I'm more worried about the preservatives and added chemicals than anything.

Anonymous said...

I heart PB, too. I also like JIF. Thanks for the comparison of the two. I tried the Skippy Natural Creamy recently and I think it's good, too.

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment at my blog today. I'm now your newest blog follower.