Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I Donated Blood Today

 

Ever since my grandma spent about 8 weeks in the hospital a few years ago, I have been donating blood.  She required a lot of blood during her surgery and it made me realize I needed to become a donator.  Unfortunately, my veins are crap.  They are small and hard to find.  It is like torture!!!

The girl who drew my blood today told me the worst thing.  She told me her goal on the first poke was only to get the needle in...she wasn't even trying for the vein.  Ummmmm.....what???  I could get the needle in!  I don't need a professional for that!  It took her forever to find my vein and her comment really irked me.  Last time she drew my blood a few months ago, I bruised all kinds of colors!  This time she put an ice pack on my arm so hopefully it won't bruise as badly.

Do you donate blood?  Do you have all kinds of fun like I do or is it easy for you?

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I don't donate blood...and I should. And I'm ashamed I just publicly admitted that.

I, too have those baby veins. They always have to use the butterfly needle or whatever it is.

Normally it takes no less than 3 pokes.

Not fun. At all.

AudreyO said...

Hoping it doesn't bruise this time!

Tammy said...

I have really bad veins for blood drawing too. Every time I need blood drawn I tell them I need a 'butterfly', I don't know what it is exactly but it makes it easier to draw I guess....you should ask for them to use one next time.

I don't give blood, because I don't weigh enough, you have to be over 100 lbs and I'm not -- (I'm only 4' 9" though)I wish I could because I am O- so I'd be a universal donor.